More Opportunities for Adventure
I found a few more races to add to the list:
- Arizona Trail 300 - A new self supported race in April.
- El Desafio Extremo - A 2-day race in Argentina in December that covers 400+ km
- Guanaride - A 4-day race in Costa Rica in July. Unlike La Ruta, this one runs North to South along the Pacific Coast.
- Iron Biker Brazil - A 2-day race in Brazil in October.
- Vuelta a Osona - A 2-day race in Spain covering 220 km with 7100+ vertical meters of climbing. Definitely one for the climbers.
- Vuelta Internacional a Valladolid de BTT - A 4-day race in Spain in March with short stages that XC racers will love. A brief description of the stages and a report of this years race.
I've listed all the races I've found to date into two main categories below. So far I have not heard about or found a 2-person self supported race. Maybe it defeats the spirit of those types of races. It would be interesting to see what races have been done on a single speed, a 29er and a tandem.
As far as I know, La Ruta as been completed by 2 persons on a SS; Lee Heckman ('02 & '03) & Rich Dillen ('04). Rich is the first person to finish the Transrockies on a SS ('05). I believe the Alaska Ultra Sport race had been completed on a SS. The GDR will be attempeted on a fixie ('06). Tandem teams have done La Ruta as well as the Croc Trophy. I don't know anyone doing any multi-day on a 29. Maybe Dave Harris will be the first.
Update: Gary Fisher rode a 29 in the 2002 Transalp.
El Desafino Extremo
La Ruta de los Conqistadores
Super Travessia - semi-suported
Temple to Temple
Vuelta a Osona
Vuelta Internacional a Valladolid de BTT
Alaska Ultra Sport
Arizona Trail 300
The Grand Loop
The Great Divide Race
Crocodile Trophy (supported)