Tuesday, October 24, 2006

6 Hours of OC Race Report

Thanks to Gillian and Caroline, my support for this race, everything went smoothly. Every time Gilly, aka Lucky Gilly, supports me at a race or I borrow her lucky light I've made the podium. I'm glad the streak is still going.

It was a fun course with plenty of climbing so I chose to ride the carbon S-works that I used at the Creampuff 100. I didn't have any major mechanicals although the grip shift would get stuck in some gears, but I just had to shift up to loosen it up then shift down. The temps got up to 92 degrees so it was great training for next week's race down in Costa Rica.

I'm a big fan of sleeveless jerseys for hot days since the Hurkey Creek race.

The only thing I did differently for this race was use the Chaser energy booster I've been testing out for the past couple weeks. Matt was also testing it out and we both decided that it's a keeper.

In the end, it came down to me chasing Manny, my teammate, around the course for a little under six hours. We both ended up with 9 laps and he crossed the line about a minute ahead of me. We each won our respective categories, expert 17-30 & expert 31-45. Lou won the female category and finished third solo overall with 8 laps; it was her first race as part of the Sho-Air team. I think ten of my teammates made the podium which is excellent considering that there were at least twelve of us racing.

My legs are ready for three days of grueling racing. Bring it on Frischi! =)

Props to Switchback, the Warriors Society and all the volunteers for putting on a fantastic race.


Bern, Lou & Mary


Eric (left) chose to ride a SS for this one. Second place & I "cheated" by using gears...I feel no shame.

5 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Dicky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:04 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Dicky said...

You guys sound like some kind of West Coast mafia.

 
At 6:40 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Dave Harris said...

Sounds like a better name for Sho-Air would be Show-Ass, cause that's all anyone else is seeing!

Nice work, sounds like Frischi's got his work cut out for him.

 
At 8:22 AM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Congrats Mario. Kick some tail next week down in Costa Rica and represent Albuquerque!

 
At 9:56 PM, October 27, 2006, Blogger mp3 said...

Thanks! I think it's going to be pretty muddy this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home