What's a typical day like at the TransAlp
, Cape Epic
or La Ruta
? I think it depends on a teams finishing time. The earlier a team finishes the more time to get everything done. The following is an overivew of what my typical day at the races is like.
1) Get up and head
a) downstairs for breakfast (TA-5am, La Ruta-3am on day 1 otherwise 4:30am) or
b) to the dinner tent. (CE-5am)
c) the rest room then dinner tent. (TA-5am) The rest rooms at the TR are limited and I don't like waiting in lines after breakfast because I've got other stuff to do.
2) Head back to my room or tent to
a) get into my cycling clothes
b) put the powders in my drinks
c) mix my perpetuem/sustained energy paste
d) pack my bag (the time for this is proportional to how much stuff you managed to cram in the race bag)
3) Take my bag to
a) the bag truck (TR, CE, LR-day 1&3)
b) the lobby (TA, LR day 2)
4) Pick my bike up from storage.
5) There's a little bit of time to
a) Ride around for a little bit until the start chutes open. (TA, CE, TR)
b) Don't waste time. Get to the line as early as possible. (LR)
6) Check in at the start chute (TA, CE, TR) Note that teammates are usually required to check in together. For lead teams there's a little bit of extra time as the you'll be at the front anyway. The overall leaders can show up 2 minutes before the start as they are allowed to lineup in front of the first chute.
7) Down a gel packet 15 minutes before the start. Start is usually at 7am.
8) Race! A typical stage can be from 4-6 hours long for the leaders and faster riders.
Depending on the finish time, good/bad day, bike issues, or weather conditions 9-13 may be done in a different order.
9) Stuff myself with free food at the finish area (TR, TA, CE) and use the recovery drink mix that I've been carrying in my jersey or camelbak.
10) Get the bikes washed before the lines start. (TR, LR)
11) Drop bike(s) off with mechanics for repair/tweaking.
12) Sign up to get a massage. Not as big issues at the CE, LR or TA as at the TR.
13) Hit the showers before the lines start. (TR, CE) Lay out the clothes to dry.
14) Grab something to eat. Dinner #1.
15) Head back to the tent to rest before getting a massage and dinner. Sleep, relax.
16) Get a massage.
17) Set aside everything for the next day; clothes, pills, gels, bars...
18) Rest a little more or hang out with friends. Get stuff done like taking clothes to the laundry.
19) Head off to dinner #2 and the awards ceremony. (TA, TR, CE) Dinner usually starts at 6 with the award ceremony 1-2 hours later.
20) Free time to
a) Hang out (TA, LR) or
b) Head back to the tent (CE, TR)
21) Fill up bladders/bottles.
22) Hit the sack by 9-9:30pm.